Cemlyn Lifeboat, History of Great Deeds
The Cemlyn Lifeboat played a notable role in rescuing ships and sailors off the North Anglesey coast during the 19th and early 20th century. It was established mainly due to the indefatigable efforts of a local family, the Lloyd Williams's.
The name of Canon Owen Lloyd Williams, Rector of Llanrhyddlad and Chancellor of Bangor Cathedral, is synonymous with North Wales Lifeboats. His mother, witnessing the tragic loss of life when the Alert foundered off West Mouse in 1823, was the driving force in this whole process.
In 1828, five years after the Alert tragedy, the Lifeboat station was in operation. For the next ninety years it would help sixteen ships in difficulty off this north west coast. In fact, the Lifeboat Station closed in 1918, the same year that Canon Lloyd Williams died a the age of ninety.
Highlights of Cemlyn Lifeboat Rescues: